A rōgin (copper-silver alloy) square-sided vase with tall neck, incised linear decoration, patinated to a gray-green hue. Signed on the base with a single character Shū.
Comes with the original fitted kiri-wood tomobako storage box inscribed outside "Vase for a single flower, made from rōgin" and signed inside Shūgorō with red seal Shūgorō.
This work is made from rōgin (literally, "cloudy silver"), an alloy better known to Western collectors as shibuichi, "one part in four," from its approximate proportion of silver and copper respectively. Developed during the Edo period (1615–1868) for the decoration of samurai swords, from the Meiji era (1868–1912) onward rōgin became one of the preferred materials for artistic metalwork.
Born in Kanazawa, Ishikawa Prefecture, Hasuda Shūgorō studied at Tokyo School of Fine Arts, graduating in 1938. A student of the well-known bronze artist Takamura Toyochika (1890–1972), Hasuda exhibited regularly during the postwar period at the Nitten national exhibitions, winning prizes on several occasions, and in 1975 became a professor at Tokyo School of Fine Arts. He was decorated with the Order of Cultural Merit in 1991 and appointed Consultant to the Nitten in 1996. Inspired by Takamura and other members of the progressive Mukei (Formless) group, established in 1926, Hasuda carried Japan's pioneering tradition of minimalist, avant-garde metal-casting into the twenty-first century, marrying traditional bronze techniques to a robust modernist sensibility.